Monday, August 9, 2010

a few lessons

So as most of you know, or could read from my blog, the past few months of my life have been some of the most difficult times I have seen yet. The work is not done and more obstacles lie ahead. I feel have gained more clarity about what I seek in my life and the feeling is one of rebirth. There are a few lessons that I have learned that I would like to share.

The first is of greatest importance to me and what I live my life by. It is the mantra that I repeat to myself nearly every day. This is to have fun. Regardless of the situation or how low you may feel in your life, seek the positive. I don't have to pull myself out of bed every day because I know that each day brings with it new opportunities.

Another great lesson that I have learned is to seek what is important in my life. After living with great financial hardship, I know that the material world around me is less and less important and that the intangible things that most take for granted are those that are irreplaceable. I hold my relationships with others in highest esteem. I am slowly learning to take my health at great importance too, but this is certainly one that is harder for me since I have developed so many bad habits. I am discovering new blessings in my life every day that I have been ignorant of for so long. Sometimes, I just need to keep my eyes open.

I have also learned that I cannot sit back and wait for my dreams to come to me. There are things that tend to just walk up to my doorstep but I cannot rely on this. To achieve the dreams that I have, I must work hard and bring with me all the good that I have. Although I am taking the small steps every day to bring me closer, the hardest part for me is to learn patience. For so long I have taken the attitude that I want it all and I want it all right now. I need to learn to listen to my inner voice and wait for the right moment to begin.

The last lesson that I would like to share is one of love. We've all heard it before..."love conquers all"..."love is the gateway to great things"...and blah blah blah. I believe in the power of love but it is more than just the romantic bullshit most people make it out to be. The most important thing I have learned is to know myself and then to love myself. Without this, you cannot even begin to love anything outside or yourself. Start with small things. Love the way you sleep funky at night and wake up with bed head. Love the freckles that appear on your face when you spend too much time in the sun. Love the air you breathe in, the way you spend your time, the books you've read, and the small things that make up who you are. Only then can you begin to look at those around you and love the little things that make them who they are. Think of how different the world would be if only we would hate a little less and love a little more.

Take these lessons for what they are. They are not rules, they are not wisdom. They are simply what I have learned from my experiences.

No comments: